Thursday, March 29, 2012

Protector

I went for a jog tonight, after dark. As I was on the last stretch with my house in view; outside waiting was my neighbor. I stopped to say hi, when she promptly started laying it into me that it is dangerous to run alone in the dark (bless her heart - she is the reason I feel safe when Brad is gone. One scream and her and her rancher of husband would be out with their shot guns). In mid sentence she stopped and said, "Oh, you have Sydney never mind." That is right. I am aware of the dangers of jogging alone, in the dark, with headphones, but with Syd I feel 100 percent safe. Really safer with her than any human jogging partner. She maybe 8 years old but her senses are still keen as if she were a 2 year old. Just ask the boys hiding behind the sign wanting to scare me. Syd noticed them 2 blocks away (and our blocks are loooong here). She got in stealth mode, or stalking border collie mode. She is a working dog after all and she was on duty. The poor boys didn't even know I had a dog with me, until Sydney scared (I am certain pee) out of them. I won't lie it was awesome.

P.S. Some may ask why I take Syd with me, and not Dixie. Not fair really, but Dixie is a terrible jogging partner (and I have tried to teach her time and time again, but with no success) She stops all.the.time. Goes from one side to the other. Barks at everything. She does much better (and prefers) to be off of a leash, free, in a field with her Frisbee. She is fast, nimble and amazingly agile. She doesn't like to be restricted by a leash, so she gets plenty of running time at the field with her beloved frisbee.

Here she is waiting (impatiently) for her frisbee to be thrown.

No comments:

Post a Comment