Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Legacy

Brad and his family lost their beloved grandpa this week. He was honestly, one of the sweetest men I've ever met. He was a cowboy, and as he told me, "A real cowboy, nothing like the ones in the movies."

This is the last picture Brad has with him up at his ranch, however, this is at Yellowstone, not even the ranch. Brad and his brother Chris took a week trip up to Idaho and spent it with him. This was one (or two?) year before he went into as assisted living home, the man was 94. Many fond memories were made that week and I think both will look back thinking, "Thank goodness we went."

Grandpa J (as he was so fondly called), was kind and sweet (and looking through old photographs I've noticed Brad inherited his crooked smile, which I love so much). The first time I met him, I was impressed with how pleasant this 96 year old man was. He would just sit and smile. Not grouchy or cantankerous, just pleasant and content. Visiting him was always a treat, never a burden. He passed away just shy of his 101st birthday (yes, you read that correctly). I don't know if Brad thinks those genes are a burden or a blessing.

The first question Grandpa J asked me was, "So do you ride horses?" My response, "No, I've had someone lead me around on one." His look, was priceless, pure shock. The look he gave Brad said, "And you still married her????" However, he did his adorable laugh, "HA" and said, "Well, I'm a real cowboy, if I still had my horses I'd have you riding in no time." He then asked, "So you a city girl?" Again, his laugh "HA".

The thing that touched me the most, was the way he spoke about his wife. How much he loved her, and how much he pined for her. We were newly weds when I first was introduced to Grandpa J, and I remember thinking, "I hope when Brad is 96 he'll talk about me the way his grandpa talks about his grandma." Everyone should have someone love them as much he loved her. And he often spoke of her. It was rare when he didn't. I'm sure their reunion was tender.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you remember meeting him. He WAS so darn cute. Grandma was too. I remember he always woke up cheerful and came out of his room singing "Oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day..." He also told awesome stories of Mr. Squash-You-All-Flat - I don't know if Brad and Chris remember those.

    ReplyDelete