Sunday, day 11. I woke up a different person. Really. I couldn't believe the difference - it felt like a miracle. I was able to talk normal again. The swelling was practically gone. Eating was easier and it was less painful. It was incredible. I finally saw the light.
Monday, Day 12. I went to the doctor. I'm still the same as yesterday. I went back to work today (it was brutal) by the end my throat felt swollen again (pretty sure it was from all the talking) and I was bone-tired. The doctor reminded me I was still healing - I still have huge scabs on the back of my throat. He was actually pretty funny when he walked in he said, "So do you like me again after last week?" He said this week I still need to remember to rest because my body is still healing. However, he did deliver good news. I'm healing well and no sign of infection. The best news: It just gets better from here on. No more bad days (if I do, it means something is wrong) woo-hoo!!
So I apologize for boring you of my recovery, but the journal has already proven to be useful, as I'm remembering my recovery very differently.
To summarize the tonsillectomy - yes, it sucks. Talking is difficult because of the pain and swelling. Swallowing is the most painful but you must do a lot of it to keep your throat moist. Above anything keep your throat MOIST. The most painful times were the moments I woke up from a nap, in the middle of the night, and in the morning because it had been hours since I last drank water. But it's tolerable. In fact, I quite enjoyed my week off. When I take time off it's only to go on a vacation never to just stay at home. During the recovery I was still able to do little things. I could do dishes, laundry (I've never been so caught up like I was this week), and I went for little walks everyday. However, as I mentioned before, my recovery was by the text book - not better not worse. Day 3 was awful, day 6, 7 , and 8 were all pretty bad but 6 was the worst - I was experiencing sharp pains. BUT I was able to sleep - which to me is the most vital.
Now, I have experienced one other benefit other than the obvious reasons why I decided to go through this...
Yeah, I lost that much.
With St. Lucia just around the corner I couldn't be happier. Now, the trick - keeping it off. Which I'm still eating soft foods so I think I can do it. I'm telling myself be good now, and when I get to St. Lucia (we are staying at an all inclusive resort) I can eat ANYTHING and EVERYTHING I want.
Glad to hear you are feeling better!!
ReplyDelete